Welcome! We are a semiconductor materials and devices group at Arizona State University, led by Prof. Yuji Zhao. Our research focus on advanced electronic and optoelectronic devices based on new materials, currently wide bandgap III-nitride semiconductors. Please see Research page for more details. Our current research interests are:
- MOCVD growth of III-nitride semiconductors (current) and other wide-bandgap or associated materials (near future).
- Device for energy and power applications such as LEDs, lasers, solar cells, and power transistors, etc.
- Nanofabrication and nanoscale characterizations.
- New physics, materials, and devices for future solid-state electronics.
- More information on ASU’s GaN Research Team can be found here: ASU GaN Capabilities and Facilities – Yuji Zhao.
- NASA HOTTech Program
- DOE ARPAe PNDIODES Program
- DoD DTRA Young Investigator Award
- NASA Early Career Faculty Award
- Science Foundation Arizona Bisgrove Scholar Tenure Track Faculty Award
- Arizona State University Fulton Schools of Engineering
Selective Media Highlights
- ASU engineer showcases NASA research to Congress on Captiol Hill, ASU news, Jan 2018
- Gallium nitride processor: next-generation technology for space exploration, Astrowatch, Phys.org, Spaceflightinsider, ECNMag, Technewsngadgets, ASU news, etc., English and Chinese, Dec 2017
- Aluminum nitride Schottky barrier diodes with breakdown voltage more than 1kV, Silicon Valley Microelectronics, Semiconductor Today, University of Strathclyde, etc., Aug 2017
- Indium gallium nitride solar cells on non-polar and semi-polar substrates, Semiconductor Today, May 2017
- Buffer and drift layer effects on vertical gallium nitride diodes, Semiconductor Today, Apr 2017
- ASU engineer looks to improve next -gen materials for solar cells, Full Circle, Apr 2017
- Thermophotonics: LEDs feed on waste heat, Nature Photonics, Nov. 2015
- ASU engineer nets NASA early career award for solar cell research, ASU Engineering News, Oct 2015
- Science Foundation Arizona names 2015 Bisgrove Scholars, AZEDNews, July 2015
- Overcoming the green gaps, Nature Photonics, Jul 2013
- Semipolar planes delivers stable green LEDs, Compound Semiconductor, Aug 2013
- How LED got their shine back, Science, May 2012
- Conquering LED efficiency droop, Optical Society of America (OSA), Apr 2012
- New LED design drops the droop, Photonics, May, 2012
- Reducing LED droop at high current, SemiconductorToday, Jul 2011